Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Love Your Strong Healthy Self!!!

Something that will probably irk me a little bit until the day I die is people who eat whatever crap they want, drink, and don't exercise, yet somehow remain thin. It used to really drive me nutty when I was sicker, but even now I still get a little twitch every now and then. Especially when people let me know that my body type doesn't fit their image of what a vegan looks like. But something that I'm starting to realize is that a lot of people who are naturally thin take that for granted, and since they don't need to lose any pounds, they don't feel like they need to exercise at all.
I have a co-worker who is very tall and naturally thin, and she has long legs like a model. And this lady eats meat, and dairy, and deep fried, drinks like a fish, smokes like a chimney, and scoffs at the thought of ever working out. She is one of the sole reasons that I quit talking about working out at work, because she's very snide and discouraging. She's the best listener if you need to bitch, whine, complain, but talk about anything healthy and wow, I mean the walls come out to play. Anyway, in the past 6 months or so, she has had a myriad of health issues. She had to have some kind of minor surgery a few months ago, and recently has been told she needs to have her gallbladder removed like yesterday. And she continues to eat heavy greasy food, and DRINK! Which are two things the doctor told her vehemently not to do. All of this is fine, it's her body, but what frustrates me is that she clearly has a lot going on internally, which is making her feel like crap externally, and then she's getting tanked and not sleeping enough which I know from experience makes you pretty damn toxic. And it's frustrating because as I see all these people who are so negligent of their health spewing off their health problems, saying well that's what happens as we age. And it doesn't have to be. There are so many seniors who are running marathons, and power lifting, and doing all kinds of amazing, wonderful things, and aging gracefully and healthily.
I'm saying all of this to encourage anyone who might be dealing with body image issues. What has been super helpful to me is looking at my body for what it is right now, which is healthy, and not breaking down. I am strong, and I swear every day I feel stronger, and that has become more important. I feel like I am way sexier now than I have ever been, because I am giving a shit about what goes in my body, and I am caring for it and myself. I don't feel this confident all the time, especially when I'm surrounded by and feeling invisible by people, esp. at work, but the important thing is that eventually I come back to this place, and I hope I can encourage other people to feel good about themselves, and be proud of healthy choices you make, even if other people try to drag you down.
I believe the professional term for what I've been going on about is "skinny fat" and it's a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment