Monday, February 1, 2021

Another Haul Bites the Dust!

 I went on a grocery run on Saturday and boy was I drained after. I've been looking into signing up for some kind of grocery pick up or delivery, but I can't really afford a lot of extra fees, and also I have concerns because I know they substitute things if they're out of something, and I don't like that. I also feel really nervous about someone else picking out my produce. Does anyone have any success or failure stories? Maybe even if I just did it every other week or something to give myself a break. I'm tired of seeing people on the bus and in stores with their mask around their chin!!!!

I went to Trader Joe's for most of my groceries, and got a few things from Whole Foods and the Indian market. 

Onion, garlic, tangelos, lemons, shredded cabbage, booch, tofu,vegan shreds, celery, romaine, soft pretzels, mini peppers, carrots, fizzy water, tomato paste, coffee creamer, apples, crackers, green onion, raw cashew pieces

Miyoko's aged cheddar, veggie burgers, Dave's killer Buns, vegan puffs, chocolate covered raisins, kombucha, chili garlic crunch, Epsom salts, dish soap,nag champa
 


I went to the Indian Market for naan, and discovered all their naan has milk in it!!!! I enjoyed the paratha which is vegan, so I picked one that is stuffed with spiced lentils and one plain for dipping. I guess I need to learn how to make my own naan!


4 comments:

  1. I know Food For Dissertating has done some reviews of US delivery services, though some might be local.
    We get most of our groceries delivered through Coles, and Australian supermarket. They have an option where you can choose what you do and do not want substituted, so we always use that. I have had issues with their produce though. Sturdier things like carrots and potatoes are OK. But I have had to throw out several bags of spinach for being rotten even before their used by date, as well as some herb issues. Thankfully COVID is mostly under control here in Australia, so I am able to go shopping to get the more delicate or particular things without too much concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have! Some are local and some are chains. Here's one thing I might suggest: Order shelf-stable things from somewhere like Kroger or Target (which have no shipping fees but you have to spend at least $35 to get it shipped) and then just get what you can't get that way from the store. You might be able to spread your trips out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI Trader Joes carries vegan naan! Look at the ingredients just to be on the safe side (duh) but i've gotten it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been getting deliveries for nearly a year. The charge does add a lot. Theres a packing charge and then you need to spend at least £40 to get free delivery. We use a major supermarket and the substitutions have not been too bad and you can refuse them and the driver will take them away and you get refunded. You can also tick a box on each item if you don't want a substitute. We get a supermarket delivery every 2 weeks and a local greengrocer on the other week. They are more expensive than the supermarket but the produce is much better and they deliver free. The downside of getting deliveries is that online you have nowhere near the range and choice you get in the actual store. Also no yellow stickers. So I would say we are spending more than pre-pandemic but saving in other areas by working from home. As for missing out on exciting or new vegan products then I have been doing loads of comping on instagram and that has made up for not being able to shop. In the last year I've won over £1,500 in vegan food and toiletries and it has really helped us have treats and also for birthday gifts for friends and family.

    ReplyDelete