Thursday, November 21, 2019

Food and Stuff

Last week I learned of a West African stew called Maafe. It's a peanut stew made with peanut butter, so you know I had to try it! It turned out so delicious, and it's so easy and inexpensive to make. When I went to share it in a post, I had deleted the picture!! It's okay, poor me I just had to make it again last night. It's so delicious and comforting, I see this gorgeous stew being a winter staple! I loosely used this recipe. I used regular potato instead of sweet, didn't use bell pepper or turnips, and of course added red lentils. This dish is AMAZING!! The ginger really shines, and it just has this simple, savory, delicious flavor!!
I served mine with quinoa in place of cous cous. Last week I had it with rice which was delicious as well. You definitely want something to soak up every last bit of the sauce!!!
It was the perfect meal on a grey, rainy day. It was a Seattle kind of day, with a constant drizzle of rain.
It's so funny how I always had a hard time with the grey and rain in Seattle. But now, living in a place where it's so sunny and the sun can be BRUTAL, I crave and love these days!!! It smells so fresh, and you can feel the moisture in the air. If you can't tell I've been feeling homesick for Seattle!

I saw this sign on a truck as I walked by. I thought it was pretty funny, and true. I wish we encouraged skateboarding more myself!
The other night I made black bean noodles with mushrooms and tofu. I used rice noodles to keep it gluten free. I tried to make black bean noodles once before, but I didn't dilute the black bean paste and it was really, really strong. This time, I actually followed the directions on the jar, and it turned out sooooo much better!!
One of my favorite easy meals! Stuffed baked potato! While the potato was baking, I let some cannellini beans marinate in some buffalo sauce. When the potato was done, I just stuffed the beans inside and drizzled a little FYH blue cheese on top. So freaking tasty!! And the blue cheese is a splurge because I found a sale, but I can definitely say the potato and buffalo beans combo is tasty on it's own as well!
For anyone brave enough to shop at Trader Joe's during this time of year, I highly recommend this creamer. I wish I would have bought more than one! It's a great price, under two dollars and it tastes great in coffee and tea!!!






3 comments:

  1. Oooh, that baked potato sounds AMAZING!! What a good idea! I'm gonna try that. Also, I need that creamer. I've decided to make a TJ's run at least once a month (it's about 35 min from my house, so it's kind of a trek). I'll look for that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stew sounds amazing, and I'm so happy you've gotten to enjoy some rainy days! I love seeing modified signs like that skateboarding one, haha! And wow, the stuffed baked potato looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about living somewhere sunny and craving cool and rainy days. That stew looks perfect for that sort of weather. As you know, I love anything with peanut butter in it.
    Black bean sauce can pack quite the punch, so I am glad you gave it a second go with different results.

    ReplyDelete