Monday, January 14, 2019

Nut and Cauliflower Free Vegan Alfredo!

Avocados, pink grapefruit,red lentils, butter lettuce, coconut milk, carrots, tofu, bulk rice and spices, sunflower butter cups(!!), lemons, nosy Joan is covering raw sunflower seeds!
I wanted to hit Sprouts again for some more avocados and grapefruit for two for one dollar!!I also made the grave mistake of going to Trader Joe's on a Sunday. I know I said I'd see them in 2019, but never on a Sunday!!! I'm not sure what I was thinking. I envy those people who shop with abandon when stores are crowded.
I went to Trader Joe's specifically for a bag of raw sunflower seeds. I wanted to try and make an Alfredo sauce using sunflower seeds in place of cashews or cauliflower. Sunflower seeds are a gazillion times cheaper than cashews. And even cauliflower can be expensive. I got a one pound bag of raw sunflower seeds at Trader Joe's for $1.99! I see all kinds of sunflower seed experiments in my future! Sunflower seed cheese anyone?
When I got home I soaked some sunflower seeds for a little over two hours, and blended them up with some seasonings and roasted garlic. The sauce is thick, rich and creamy just like with cashews! I'm really impressed!

                                                              Sunflower Seed Alfredo
  • 1 1/4 C. Raw Sunflower Seeds soaked at least two hours
  • 5 Cloves Roasted Garlic
  • 1 Tsp. Miso Paste
  • 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 3 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 1/2 to 2 C. Water
Throw everything in a blender and blend away until smooth and creamy. Start with one cup of water and go from there. I ended up adding almost two cups of water.  This makes enough sauce for one pound of pasta.

Here is my bowl with a little butter leaf salad. I love this sauce, it's thick and rich with a great roasted garlic flavor. This was a very hearty and cozy winter dinner!




8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That alfredo sauce looks luscious. And I don't use that word lightly. I have sunflower seeds in my freezer. Unfortunately, I think they're roasted not raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot! I really loved it. I know I've seen people use roasted cashews instead of raw, but I really think raw is better because they soften up. Although I guess with a super powerful blender it might not matter. But also it might change the flavor.

      Delete
  3. Whoa! That sauce looks so decadent and creamy! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Great deals at Sprouts too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunflower seeds are a great sub! Plus it is great to switch it up since they have different vitamins than cashews. I should try using them more again.

    I rarely go to Trader Joe's on weekends. If I do I try and go super early, before the crowds form. It gets so crazy, I don't mind the people as much as I HATE the parking lots. Luckily you don't have to deal with it, but I am always so afraid someone is going to crash into me or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea!! I always buy the salted sunflower seeds for salads and snacking, but this sounds delicious.... i wonder if maybe adding in some white beans will help to make it extra creamy and a more mild sunflower flavor?
    TJs on a sunday in nyc is for insane people who don’t know any better- although very first thing in the morning it’s quiet and awesome because everything is fully stocked. But i like sleeping sundays so that’s rare!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sauce looks amazing! I have made a Sunflower Seed sauce once, but it had a funny flavour, a bit bitter or something odd. But your seasonings look spot on for deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a delicious sauce; I'll definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete