Sunday, January 24, 2016

Recipe Recipe!


                                          
I am going to make these, maybe even today. I have a half of a bag of wheat gluten that could stand to be used up. My seitan cooking skills are shaky to say the least, but this seems like a pretty fool proof recipe. I love the idea of adding blended cashews to seitan mix to make it juicy. A lot of recipes call for oil. I enjoy this YouTube channel. She has some amazing recipes, and her videos are always positive. She also doesn't do videos bashing other vegans food choices, or weight.
Yesterday I tinkered around in the kitchen and made this really tasty green chili sauce, and I also made a cashew cilantro cream. I ended up making like a Mexican lasagna using tortillas instead of noodles. I used white beans, and some leftover cooked brown rice lingering in the fridge. It was so delicious!
                                                     Tomatillo Green Chili Sauce
  • 1 lb. Tomatillos
  • 1/2 medium onion sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 small Serrano pepper (optional, leave out if you're not into too much heat.)
  • 1 4oz. can of fire roasted diced green chilis
  • S & P to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 veggie stock cube
  • 2 C. water
While you're slicing and dicing your veggies, add the veggie cube to the water and get it all heated up. Add the veg and spices to the water, bring it all to a boil and then allow to simmer for twenty to thirty minutes. You can tell when it's ready because the tomatillos break down and it starts looking real saucy! If you have an immersion blender, go ahead and use it, otherwise blend the sauce up in a regular blender.  So easy, and so tasty. I have made this sauce by first sauteing the veggies in a little oil, and I've made it this way with no sauteing and no oil, and honestly I see no reason to use oil. It doesn't affect the flavor either way. I only used the can of chilis because they were randomly in my cupboard, but I usually make this just with a fresh jalapeno or Serrano, no need for a can. I also usually add a handful of cilantro right before blending. I forgot yesterday. OOPs!
I added cilantro to the finished dish, as well as some green onion. This sauce goes really well with white beans. I have a green chili with white beans idea forming somewhere in the depths of my brain.
I like this dish because it's hearty and comforting, but it's also actually good for you. And it's yet another dish that you can make using odds and ends.
I wanted to sign of with a tweet I saw from Russell Simmons, who by the way is a longtime vegan, and recently wrote a book called The Happy Vegan and I've seen clips online of him making the rounds promoting the book, and he is representing! Anyway, I loved this tweet/quote/twote?- "A smile, even when it feels forced at first, is what gives us strength to continue our process"
Happy Sunday!


2 comments: